Sunday, September 28, 2008

What a difference a year makes!

It's one of those things that really shows me that I really am doing some good with my boys and I'm not screwing up their education. This past week, Jonathan has been spontaneously reading all over the place. During history, science, and music he's been reading the questions he needs to answer to me before answering them! I remember his K year when it was soooo hard just getting him to put together the sounds to make a simple word. He just couldn't wrap his head around the concept (I think he's more of a whole language learner in a lot of ways) and we had so many days filled with tears because I couldn't figure out how to teach him and he couldn't figure out how to do what I was asking. Now he's gone through 1st grade and while we are still wrapping up the 1st grade phonics program through K12 since we started very slowly and took our time with it, it's amazing to see how far he's come. He's so much more confident in his reading, he's taking the initiative to try and read on a regular basis, and so often he does a great job of it too.

So here's to Jonathan, our newest reader!

1 comment:

Auntie M said...

Yeh, for Jonathan's Reading! May it bring him many years of joy!
Love
Mom