Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Aphorisms

Today I'm turning over the entry to Christopher so he can share what he's learning about today, aphorisms.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
An aphorism is a literary device that is related to human life, like Ben Francklin's saying, "A penny saved is a penny earned," and "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise," while Orson Scott Card changes it to "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes." One of my favorite aphorisms on www.deimel.org/commentary/aphorisms was "The road to hell is paved with defective concrete." My mom would say to that, "The road to hell is a downhill, small single lane dirt road, with hairpin turns, leading to Solvang." Another is " you cannot smell the roses while talking on your cell phone." And my third and final favorite was, "We learn to walk before beginning to run, but we don't learn to balance on a bicycle before learning to ride." An aphorism I thought of myself is, "Life is like a comic book. Sometimes you're the hero, sometimes you're the innocent bystander."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ok, Jena's back...And see, that's what I love about homeschooling. I've used aphorisms my whole life without knowing what the actual name for them was and now I've learned that. Not only that but it was great watching Christopher get excited about researching these on the web and then sharing that with Matthew. Then he and I got into a discussion trying to come up with our own (my favorite out of that was when we were talking about bowling and came up with "sometimes you're the ball and sometimes you're the pin" LOL). It's those memories that I love and cherish and I hope my kids will too.

No comments: