Friday, September 18, 2009

So many activities!

I think with guitar lessons starting on Monday and bowling starting on Tuesday that will officially signal the end of the adding in of activities. So here's what we have:

MONDAY
10a-11:30a Jonathan has Speech and OT (Chris & Matt hang at the library doing
schoolwork and I take Nico grocery shopping)

3p-3:30p Matthew has guitar lesson (Chris stays home while I stay at the park with the other two)

4:30p-6:30p Chris, Matt, and Jon all have KSW (Nico and I drop and run home)


TUESDAY
2p-3p All four boys bowl
5:15p-6:15p Christopher has Young Actor's Workshop
5:30p-7p Jonathan has soccer practice
(Matthew can go to KSW or stay home and practice guitar in peace)


WEDNESDAY
4:30p-6:30p Three big boys to KSW


THURSDAY
10a-11a Matt, Jon, and Nico have swim lessons
4p-5:30p Jonathan has soccer pratice
4:30p-6:30p Chris and Matt have the option of going to KSW


FRIDAY
9:30a-10:50a Matt and Jon have pottery
10a-11:30a Nico has zoo class
3p-6p Chris has biology lab which I teach at a friend's house
Also sometime on Friday, Jonathan's speech teacher stops in for another session with him


SATURDAY
10:15-11:30a Jonathan's soccer game
11a-1p Chris, Matt, and Jon have Pan Moin at KSW (yes, I notice the time discrepancy for Jonathan, he's late every week to his practice for the competition)


So this would be why I roll my eyes when people ask about socialization. I worry a heck of a lot more about trying to find time for academics with them than I do about their social skills. Academic stuff is getting done but it's been a challenge figuring out how to work it in around all the other stuff. I'm really, REALLY hoping to find time to work on that schedule this weekend to get a better idea of what may be able to just come out and where we can trim and/or combine things. At least now I have all the materials so I can hopefully do better than just guessing on the last pieces.
I have to say tho, they are so happy with all their activities. Yes, scheduling it all is a challenge and it keeps us on the go more often than not. Yes, it makes it harder some days to find time for things like the three Rs. BUT, they are finding their creative sides and exploring them and THAT is what I want for them. The basic academics we can get to but letting them explore and create is something that if we deny can be lost forever and that is something too precious to be discarded. I'm so thankful every day that I have the opportunity to open opportunities for them rather than close them away behind budget cuts and state testing needs.

1 comment:

Debra-Dawn said...

i know what you mean about socialization...:)

how are you liking Oak meadow?

I decided to try Well trained mind this year...

but my math is still undecided...

why did you choose the math you did?