Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Moon is Not Made of Green Cheese

I know it's been a few days since I updated but life has been very crazy with other appointments and we had some illness so we kind of kept to the basics and not much else but today everyone was feeling better and working well so we got to do a lot of fun stuff.

The big things are, as usual, from our Prairie Primer. Today we were studying the moon, it's cycles and effects on the tides, as well as many of the legends and myths that surround it. I tried to get the boys to blog about it but Matthew had already done his blog for the day and Jonathan is too wrapped up in his big sleepover in 11 days to care for such trifling matters. LOL At least Matthew will blog about it tomorrow.

We also did some studying on the skin and all it's many layers and the purposes it serves and how it does those. We read about how they made cheese in the 1800s and I will be trying to find the ingredients to make our own cheese later this week. Doesn't look like an easy process but it should be interesting to see if we can recreate it in some small part here. If you know where I can get some Junket, please let me know. I'll skip on the rennet. LOL

I got a chance to work with Nico a bit today as well. Kid LOVES to draw circles but other shapes are just not nearly as interesting to him. LOL But we worked on identifying them and hopefully he'll start realizing there is more to life than just round shapes. He did great with his workbook and had fun with a couple of projects. We had a lovely time reading "The Little Rabbit" which was one of my favorite books growing up. He really enjoyed it as well and insisted on reading it to Matthew afterward. So cute! He's also getting into doing the calendar and days of school with me and reminds me when we do the first one that we need to do the other as well. Gotta stay on top of mommy you know. She forgets stuff all the time. So glad he's figured that out already. LOL

I've started reading "The Story of Art" so I can do all the art discussions with Christopher. I've done most of them and yes, I could get away with not reading the book but if feels like cheating somehow so I'm reading it. So far I've gotten the introduction done (which he didn't have to read) and am just now starting the text but what I loved reading was what the author wants you to come away with is exactly what I want Christopher to take from it. I was hoping by going with a curriculum that tends to think that way, I'd get that but it was nice to have that confirmed. I think we will both enjoy this course. Now if only I could get caught up with his History reading. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get away without reading that one. Maybe it will be really interesting too?!

No comments: