Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Shedules? What are those?

Still don't have one and so many things are cropping up to keep us from getting into any kind of groove but we are just going with the flow and doing the best we can. Today we were actually home for most of the day so it was good and things got done. Jonathan and I worked on the first two lessons of his new math book. It's really basic review right now so I didn't feel bad about letting him do every other problem while he learns the new system. The big thing is going to be getting him to write out his own problems instead of me doing it all for him. I'm hoping to start off having him write as many as he can and then I'll take over and just gradually having him take over until he's doing them all. I just have no idea how far to push him with his writing but I know if I have him overdo it, he's a mess and all work will be over for the day. I need to talk to his OT about how much is a reasonable expectation.

We had fun with our Prairie lesson today. Got to pull out the science book and talk about how breathing works with the exchange of oxygen for carbon dioxide. It was sad tho as Pa keeps talking about all these stories his dad told him of his youth and when I asked the boys for stories about their grandparents, they couldn't really think of any. That will definitely be high on my list of priorities, to have them go and ask their grandparents about their memories of when they were young. Maybe have them ask their great-grandparents too.

Nicholas was hilarious today. Didn't want to work with me at all. Finally he chilled out and settled down. He glued ribbon onto his apple to study the letter A. He spent the whole time insisting I sing "The A says..." and he would yell "Ahhhhh". LOL Then we read The Blue Boat which he enjoyed once I got his interest. He was mad it wasn't Yellow Ball still. Thankfully once I started reading aloud while ignoring him, he decided it wasn't so bad after all. After that, he did some coloring in one of his Kumon books. I misread the directions and told him on the second pages to draw a line while hitting all the shapes on the page. So he did that. Then after 5 pages of this, I reread the directions and realized he was supposed to do it WITHOUT hitting the other objects on the page. So I told him I made a mistake and that he needed to draw a line while going around the shapes, not hitting them. So his next several ones were done while having the line literally circling every single shape on the page! The first time we all laughed so hard that he just kept it up for the laughs. He had the biggest grin on his face doing it too. It kept him busy for quite a while tho so that was good.

Now to find some time to go over Christopher's art study with him. I feel bad sometimes that the other boys get so much of my attention but I sort of pick and choose which subjects I pay close attention to with Christopher but I make sure to hit everything and do all discussions with him at some point. Just not all get done weekly as they should and that is yet another area I need to improve on.

No comments: