Thursday, August 20, 2009

I know they learned something today

I'm just not entirely sure what. LOL Matthew, Jonathan, and Nicholas all had swim this morning so that was something. I worked with Jonathan on his math facts a bit with one of his computer games, Math Blockout. It's a bit harder than I was expecting but even after 15min he was starting to get the hang of it and understand the rules and I think it will be good as it not only makes him use the functions but think it through in order to use the functions most effectively with a given set of numbers. After that I had to disappear to work on laundry so Matthew helped him with the Riddle Spiders while he did his math. I read with him a bit before we headed out to KSW and then he and Matthew did History when we got home while I worked on dinner. Something about Chimpanzees? I'll be sure to ask him tomorrow to see how his recall is. LOL

Christopher worked on his History of Art class today and seemed to actually enjoy it. I'm still trying to figure out our schedule so I can get in time to meet with him and go over everything he's done this week. I'd ideally like to have at least 30min a day to do that but we'll see, especially as soccer, bowling, and yaw have yet to figure into our schedule and those are all going to be on Tuesdays.

No working with Nico today as we were running around so much. :( Again, this is where that schedule is really needed. I have got to find time to work on that this weekend to fit everything in. Right now I know we could be more efficient with our time which will be needed to fit in the science experiments that Matthew and Jonathan want to do, the Little House on the Prairie lessons I want to do with them, and all the fun creative stuff I want Nico to have the opportunity to do. But really, for the first week back with no schedule in place and no gradual lead-in to the start of school like I normally try to do, I think we've done pretty well this week. Stuff is getting done. We have been reading together almost every day from Robinson Crusoe. Jonathan has read to me twice this week already and is definitely increasing his fluency from last school year. Matthew is balking only a little bit but it learning to work with Jonathan and get his work done. Nicholas is accepting that the TV is no longer going to be on all day and is starting to work with me a bit. Christopher is jumping right back into the swing of things for the most part.

All in all, not a bad start to the year.

No comments: