Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Homemade Butter Day!

Today things went a bit awry so we opted for the original plan of trying our hands at making our own butter using the directions from the Little House on the Prairie Cookbook.

Want an easy way to keep 4 boys entertained and out of trouble for 20-30min? Have them shake the jars until they have large lumps of butter in them.

Everyone got in on the action for the shaking and it gave me a few minutes of much needed peace. LOL
After the shaking Matthew and Jonathan continued with the rest of the steps to get the last of the milk and then came the fun of putting it into some of mom's candy molds. It was a really fun time and I'm glad we did it. It turned out well tho I think we should have used a bit more salt but we now have many butter penguins hanging out in our fridge which is all good according to the boys. LOL

In other good news for the day, Nico had a great time painting today! This is the child who would scream and run any time I suggested it before which always made schooltime hard because there was very little he would do that didn't involve my direct attention or a video game of some sort. I definitely see this as major progress. He was even very happy to sit down and read with me today and took his own hand at reading to me! I'm so glad that I'm able to spend time doing fun stuff with him now and he's gotten to the point where we can reason a bit with him. Yeah!!!

No comments: