Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A few things are coming together

Still fairly slow day today. It's still a challenge to get everyone moving in the right direction, especially without our schedule and I was very slow moving today. Jonathan did get his math practice in and he worked much better with Matthew on history today and Nico even allowed Jonathan to read to him so those were all good things. Matthew learned to work better with Jonathan on the history and was thrilled when I told him he would only get history tests once a week and could draw a comic for the essay question. I figure we'll have plenty of opportunities to practice essay writing but this would help to make history more interesting and would help to cement it in his head. The two of them have spent a good portion of the day constructing houses out of copier paper. Measuring, cutting, taping, making furniture. It's been good seeing them find a way to do something creative together.

Other good news for the day was that Nico worked with me again! He sat with me for our Five in a Row reading and we looking for items in the book. He again had fun dressing our "Jesse Bear". He listened to Jonathan read him a Wow-Wow Wubzy story and then listened a little to Matthew reading him Z is for Zamboni. I pulled out the Bright Minds Beginning Mathmatical Reasoning and Kumon Easy Mazes. He did a couple of pictures in the Bright Minds book but he decided he LOVED the maze book. He did 77 out of 80 mazes and didn't finish because he "wanted to leave some to save for ever". LOL He loved it so much that I ordered a few more different Kumon maze books from Amazon which should get here on Friday.

Christopher had a headache yesterday and was still a bit slow this morning. He got most of his work done tho not all of his history for the week. The week is light enough that he can finish up later and we'll be on track. I still need to finish up this week's reading of A Separate Peace so we can do that discussion. I'm guessing I'll likely end up reading a good chunk of his history and art texts too so I can have intelligent discussions about those as well. Who knew I'd be reading high school texts again so many years after graduation?! LOL

No comments: